Peace Corps Volunteers may have slightly dinkier houses, and the small animals that share our living space are probably not cute chihuahuas, but in so many ways, Peace Corps Volunteers (PCVs) and celebrities are pretty much same same.
12 Ways Peace Corps Volunteers are Like Celebrities
1. People stare at us no matter what we are doing and are far too interested in mundane things like what we ate for breakfast, who we were spotted walking around town with, and how many rolls of toilet paper we happened to use this week.
2. We both have entourages. Crowds of scruffy, unbathed children totally count, right?
3. In the words of James Tanner, “we both like African babies“. And apparently the wordpress community can’t resist their cuteness either.
4. We can trash a hotel room and get away with it. Our status often gets us a “get out of jail free” card. Or in the case of PCVs, a “they’re foreign and don’t get it” card.
5. Inviting us to a party means preparing for a whirlwind of craziness and drunken debauchery. Oh sure, we’re fun, but be prepared…
6. Everyone knows our name but we usually don’t know theirs. Who are you again?
7. We’re both millionaires. Okay, so we’re talking two different currencies, but still…
8. People will sneakily take photos of us… paparazzi style.
9. People care about us far more than their political leaders, according to Evan Morier.
10. We take vacations in exotic locations and can be seen lounging on the beach in the middle of January, working on our tans while the rest of America is bundled in sweaters.
11. It’s always questionable as to whether what we’re doing could be considered work or not. Really, watching 5 episodes of Mad Men in a row is hard work.. we swear!
12. And finally, we set the trends with our ever evolving wardrobe and impeccable sense of fashion.
Photos: (1) Chip + Peace Corps Bob mocking Titanic in Ankarana National Park (2) One of our entourage in Mahajunga cheesing out in front of the camera (3) Our paparazzi in Mahajunga (4) Chip showing off one of our stranger used clothes finds in Ambanja
Did I miss any?
7 replies on “How Peace Corps Volunteers and Celebrities Are Pretty Much the Same”
Funny! Great insight to what peace corp volunteering is like. I’m considering on doing it one day.
Thanks! It’s a great opportunity if you do end up joining — and never too late to do so.
Love this post! Great humor.
great list! I can relate to all of them when I was a PC in Namibia… especially the unique fashion trends! I made wearing a pair of glasses held together with masking tape a popular fashion trend in my community!
you are too cool.
loves you jessie.
Sounds very familiar. I went there last summer with my vazaha husband and same thing. We were the town´s celebrities and even I, who look typical was often stared at. :-)